View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
When we traded for Bruce in early August (August 9th I believe), a lot of the talk in Cleveland was that he was a rental. Carlos Santana is a free agent after this season, and the original thought was that we couldn't keep them both. Now, it's looking like we have a good shot at keeping both. Bruce loves the Midwest, blue collar area/team, and I think he likes contending, too. Santana has openly said he doesn't want to leave Cleveland, and might be open to a hometown discount.

The other aspect people like to discount is if the Indians go on another deep postseason run, that's tens of millions in extra revenue. I think we made ~$60M last year in the postseason, which literally paid for Edwin Encarnacion. His contract is also incentive based with some statistical incentives but it's largely attendance based. If the Indians hit certain milestones in attendance, he bonuses. Very creative contract. Our attendance is way up this year - an average of $5k+ each game - and should only continue to climb.

I, by the way, will be at the game tomorrow night. Going for 22 which, depending upon whom you ask, is the MLB record for consecutive wins. Roll Tribe baby! Keep the Chief and Go Indians!
Bruce played many years with Cincinnati so I assume he feels at home back in Ohio. And although I don't know his stats, it seems like he is in a groove and making a big contribution. He's the perfect fit.

With regard to the record for longest winning streak, I believe 21 straight is now the mark. Years back it was the 26 straight by the Giants, but they now consider that tie game a deal breaker. So if they win today, that's the new record.