View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 08:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
With our different culture and guns laws up here there is no way I can really relate to the guns issues that are being discussed in this thread but after I watched this one just recently, I wondered how accurate it is?

https://www.tiktok.com/@knowledgeequ...20276015877381
Pretty accurate, the exacts change year to year of course, but the vast majority of ‘gun deaths’ are suicides every year. After you take out those, you take out people shot and killed by the police (who of course are not regulated by gun restrictions), and rightful self defense shootings (most self defense uses of a firearm don’t result in a corpse or even a shooting, most of the time the gun doesn’t need to be discharged to neutralize the threat) you’re left with a very small number. And of that small number, almost all of them are handguns. The most commonly used cartridge in a murder is .22lr, the weakest commonly available round and the least reliable. On the macro level, it is incredibly rare for someone to be killed with a ‘scary rifle’ like an AR or an AK. Last I checked a few years ago, the FBI statistics reveal a person is more likely to be murdered with a hammer than with a rifle with a pistol grip and detachable magazine.

Personally, the framing of the debate reveals the political nature. If the purpose was humanitarian, we would look at murders, not ‘gun deaths’. The weapon used does not make a murder more or less tragic, but we act like it does because nobody politically cares about hammers or kitchen knives. That doesn’t score points for their side.