View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Paul Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
These COAs they sell at shows... do the people who issue them actually see the item being signed? Or is it "a matter of trust?"

A few years ago, there was an autograph show at Citi Field. PSA/DNA provided authentication services. If memory serves me right, the way it worked was that once you got your autograph and left the area, you'd go to another table, show the receipt for your autograph, and the representative would look at the item, place a hologram sticker on it, and enter the information in the computer - but the representative did not actually see the items being signed.

Is this method still done, or was what I saw not the norm?
At the MAB show last week in Cooperstown, the JSA table was set up outside, in front of the Tunnicliff. Now, you go in the front door and have to exit out the back, and walk back out front and stand in line.........NO ONE sees you get the autographed item. So, in theory, you could have Rickey Henderson sign a photo, have a fake get the JSA COA and sell the fake. Makes NO sense the way it was set up. Now, at the Dave & Adams show I went to after you get your item signed, you have to pass the table to get the COA before you leave and if you leave you can't come back to get the COA. That makes much better sense and I wasn't charged for the COA there but you had to pay JSA at the MAB show.