View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Daniel E.

Default Israeli Series & its Clay CARD...

Nice to clear it up that it was meant to go in an album, thus it can further be properly designated Master Checklist wise as being a categorized 'album card.'

Thanks, Adam. Perhaps you can provide a bit more, please: While you mention considering it to be from the late 1960s, no exact year within that decade being obviously not yet available--and if you possess or have access to info regarding the album itself, does it credit anywhere who or what company produced this series or issued the album? Did it mention what the title of the album itself was, or give a name for the specific series related to its cards?

This type background information is what the Review is striving to include.

Here's the Ali 'Fight Beat' and "CrawDaddy"...

Plus two (pre-Hemmets) 4-in-1 panel cards produced in Sweden right after Marciano won the title from Walcott. The backs of all panel cards within the series are one giant ad; different ads on different panels. Marciano and Walcott are the only two boxers in this particular series. Swedish nationals habitually freed the personalities and collected them in personal albums as singles. I was offered such a personal album of singles, first, but it didn't include the boxers and mainly contained strictly Swedes, organized not by their card face numbers but by professions; actors, singers, starlets, etc., none of whom I recognized. After some time and much pleading, the two 4-in-1 panels with the boxers were acquired. They were difficult to locate even in Sweden and, try as I may, I never was able to acquire duplicates.

I know modern, contemporary boxing card issues aren't a lot of people's cup of tea, but here are some examples that are tough: Unreleased KAYO test-cards of Hearns and Tyson to start. Neither Tommy or Mike would accept the offered terms allowing them to be included by Kayo in the actual set. Their test-cards were supposed to have all been destroyed.

Also, UK's Futura produced a beautiful, high quality but sparse inclusions set of "Boxing Legends." They had considered coming out afterward with a series-two based on the first set and produced (100) 9-card test-sheets with 5-boxers for that potential second set along with 4-footballers potentially for two other different upcoming Futura productions. The "Legends" follow-up set never materialized. The five boxers were: Tyson, Tunney, Dick Tiger, Teo Stevenson, and Jimmy Wilde.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NET54- ALI "FIGHT BEAT" copy.jpg (44.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Net54 ALI-CRAWDADDY.jpg (48.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Net54 4-in-1 Marciano.jpg (77.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Net54 -Walcott.jpg (77.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg NET54 TYSONS, etc.jpg (76.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg LINEAR HC- ALI 24.jpg (77.3 KB, 69 views)