View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
I only collect prewar cards right now, but I do miss the thrill that I used to get as a kid opening packs. I note that many collectors buy boxes of unopened packs. I've often been tempted to buy a box or two of cards just for the fun of seeing what I would get. I was wondering if anyone else buys cards that way? What kind of cards do you buy? and why?
I agree that the thrill of opening packs as a kid was great, so I sometimes try to re-live that by actually opening the same types of packs I did way back then. For me, that would be roughly 1977-87. I have a number of unopened wax, cello and rack packs from those years and I like to crack a few open from time-to-time on a rainy day or just if the mood strikes me.

Even though I built Topps sets from those years as kid, I have actually started new, "fresh" sets from these packs that I open. It'll take forever to finish them, and I really don't even care if I ever do, it's just fun to open them sometimes and then add them to their respective sets (instead of leaving them in piles on my desk, like I used to do).

You can still get unoponed boxes of Topps, Fleer, etc. from the early-mid 80s at reasonable prices and it's a lot of fun.