Thread: It's all mine
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

I "caught" a foul finally at a minor league game. They have a concesion stand down the far end of the stands in right. The batter hit a long foul just short of there, and I started wondering if he'd hit another. Two pitches later as I'm holding a cardboard tray of drinks waiting for hotdogs and pretzels he hits another. Right at us. The guy in front tries for it, it deflects off his hand about 6-7 feet into my stomach and drops in the tray. He and his two girls borrowed it to have a look then gave it back. They weren't all that interested in the ball after about 30 seconds. I'm not sure what I'd have done if they wanted it.

About a week later I'm at a Sox-Yankees game sitting in one of the seats next to a pole, just right of the screen. Hardly any fouls go back there. Hands full again, soda and nachos and one of the yanks hits a hard foul right at us. Quickly figuring the soda and nachos cost more than the ball and not knowing if it was going off the pole or not (I've seen a couple nasty deflections over the years) I did the only sensible thing - Held the food and ducked so the Yankee fans behind me could get the ball. I think it hit the pole head on, and bounced lower since the guys behind me didn't get it.

Steve B