View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Michael

Default Long term trends

I am curious what you folks think of long term trends say 10 years down the road. As many of us get older and scale down alittle do you think there will be as many set collectors of the cards from the 1930's through 1960'? We might be losing more collectors than we are gaining new ones. The easy deceased HOFers- Terry, Hubbell etc have not been appreciating except on premium items. I think there will always be lots of HOF collectors but once a new guy comes in say Barney Dreyfuss or Billy Southworth and there is enough supply for those of us that want one the prices drops by half or more and then stabilizes.
I do not collect for investment- just for enjoyment but as I downsize some of the niche collection I have been selling like many of my Jewish items I took large losses but I did well on rarer non HOF cards from the 50's to set collectors (but will they still be around in 10 years). Also I tend to collect guys on real oddball cards like when I saw Ken Griffey Jr in person and he actually signed I got him on a Japanese Konami card. Might be the only signed one out there but doesn't seem like it is worth as much as a topps card.
I still actively buy HOFers and some other items which I will pass down someday to my son who collected with me and knows baseball history
So to you guys out there what do you see happening? I will be away from my computer for a few days so won't be able to contribute more to this till I get back but anxious to here your views.