View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
People have made their own cards like this in the past, but this is the first time i have seen a credible brand name put to these cards where people can design their own.

leaf, you have joined the greedy ranks of the insert card hucksters.

you do know this isn't the original Leaf company, right? Or even the one that was around in the 80s and 90s, either, right?

A well known Hobby dealer/businessman named Brian Gray purchased the Leaf name about 2 years ago. Before this Brian Gray had started his own card company called "Razor". Razor made a big splash a few years ago by signing all the top MLB draft picks from 2008 (I believe) to exclusive autograph contracts. These "Exclusives" kept other companies like Topps unable to create autographed cards of these top picks until they actually played an official MLB game. As im sure you guys know, it takes top picks sometimes 3, 4 or 5 years to get into an official MLB game.

Anyways, Brian's card company "Razor" had a bit of a following with the collectors that like top draft picks and top prospects, generally these people are called "Prospectors" as they like to buy in cheap and sell for a big profit if/when the player makes a big splash in the majors. Brian decided though that he wanted a more established name for his company and when the Leaf name came up, he bought it and changed his card company to Leaf. Brian and Leaf are based out of Texas, Dallas i believe but not 100% sure.