View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Default First 2008 Recent Pickups thread

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Lotta nice pick ups posted. Dan Paradis, Boy you're friend's daughter sure did a nice job, I guess that would be a mural?, looks great, very talented! Dan Bretta, those are very nice photos...I like snap shots, they're more personal. Speaking of personal I once saw a cache of small photos for sale at the 2005 National, of Dimaggio that were suppose to have been his own personal photos that came out of his estate. Bill Rosenthal had them for sale, you can read about them in the fifth paragraph of the link below to my 2005 National coverage.
http://sportsantiques.com/05natpg4.htm
But back to my recent pick up...I got a circa 1880's silver plated ladies baseball brooch,seen below, just got it in the mail the other day, picked it up on eBay. I usually like bigger things, but it was so 1880ish....don't know anthing about jewelry...but I'd guess this would be called costume jewelry, as it doesn't seem like fine jewelry. The bat is 2 1/2" long with a stick pin on the back. The ball is about 1 1/2" wide, and has a door so you could put something inside the ball. It hangs down 4 5/8". The two rings on the bat, and the general feel of it speak to it being from the 1880's. I can not find any makers mark. I'd be very interested to know if anyone has seen this before, or can supply any info on it. It doesn't photograph real well, as some 3 dimensional objects are prone to.