Thread: Ever Overpaid?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
If you ask my wife I overpay for everything. I would agree that I overpaid for this Jose Pagan 1971 World Series bat. I had to have it as Pagan's 8th inning double drove in Stargell to score what proved to be Game 7's winning run. Although the bat has use I can never prove that it was THAT bat. Nonetheless, the possibility was delicious enough for me to open my wallet a bit wider than I should have. When I showed it to my wife she said, "Who is Jose Pagan?" She is a philistine at times but I love her anyway.

On athe other hand I have had many deals that balanced the ledger. The best was a purchase of six unopened boxes of 1976-77 Topps Basketball cards. I discovered them in a local store and paid $20.00 a box for them. I sold them for a nice profit and then used that money to overpay for other stuff I had to have
Great story about the Pagan bat. I would say it's an excellent chance that's the real thing; people are going to be less apt to fake a Jose Pagan bat than a Roberto Clemente one. And true that it's all relative. So I overpaid for this Nolan Ryan card. I once bought at '59 Venezuelan Topps Mantle for about 50 bucks and turned around and sold it for more than $400.