Thread: Ruth or Jordan?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 06:30 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
If that's what an auction house is telling you, I'd run away from that auction house.

Simple logic would tell you that the biggest impact on the price of an item up for auction is the amount of action/bids on that item. You should want information about this item to be spread far and wide even before it goes up for sale so that you have as many eyeballs/wallets involved as possible. Lower knowledge/public awareness = fewer bids = lower sale price. Would you agree with that? Doesn't that seem strange to you that an auction house would give you advice that runs counterproductive to the very thing you're trying to accomplish (the highest sale price possible)?

This whole story sounds a little fishy to be completely honest with you, but if all you say is true, I fear you're being told to keep it a secret because either:

1) the auction house is worried about the item's legitimacy and they're assuming that the less time potential buyers have to research/scrutinize, the better, OR

2) the auction house wants to buy it from you for resale, and they're going to try to convince you to sell it to them at a price they say is fair, as opposed to you listing it somewhere and possibly getting much more from the market.

So again, I would run away. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more!

Excuse me if I am wrong, but haven't all the greatest baseball card finds been exposed/told to the public long before any have gone to auction?

I think of the latest "Cobb Lucky 7" was, and I am sure many others as well, all before ever hitting an auction or coming for sale privately.

This story does sound fishy and imo, is just fabricated in order to draw the OP some attention that he seeks. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but everything you have told us about these items goes against the grain in the collectibles world.