Thread: Philly Show
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I've been going to these shows since the Motor Lodge days and followed the show to Ft. Washington (even wrote a review of the show there for VCBC) and Reading. Since the move to Valley Forge, I've continued the pilgrimage from central Jersey and have generally enjoyed the shows even when they haven't been great. But I've missed the last two and I think have finally come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth the trip. I was Christmas shopping in New Hope/Lambertville and was all ready to go over on Friday when I realized that I'd be seeing most of the same cards for the nth time and that the dealers that didn't put prices on their cards wouldn't start now and the dismissive/bored dealers wouldn't begin engaging with their customers and so on. So I drove home instead.
Sad but nothing stays the same forever.
Well, I know of myself and two other guys who just started doing the show this year. None of us are world class, but I have a nice showcase or two full of clearly marked prewar, graded and raw. Is the show what it was 15 years ago? No. But there are good guys there who try very hard to make their little corner of the show an enjoyable place to visit. It bothers me when I hear "it's the same stuff every time" when I only started doing it this year and my inventory is VASTLY different each time. This time I had t202's from PSA 3 - 5, T201's from 4 -5 and e126's that had never been there before as well as some new T205's and 6's including some hall of famers. If you are going to compare it to "the good old days" then yes, I agree it pales in comparison, however if you want to go it's not like you're wasting your $8. Instead of bitching about the same old dealers selling the same old stuff, maybe look at some of the guys you don't recognize!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-05-2016 at 09:25 PM.