View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
By The way, Fumio Fujimura of the Tigers is a Hall of Famer, while Akira Noguchi's brother Jiro Noguchi is also a Hall of Fame member. A third brother, Noboru Noguchi played 3B-SS for the Tigers from 1941-43 and was killed in the Philippines in 1945.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Not to stray too far off topic, but I'm glad Douglas MacArthur's boys got him instead of the other way around.
Apologies in advance for the minor threadjack.

I live a couple doors down from one of 'Bull Halsey's boys', and I'll add that one of the reasons I love collecting from this era so much is how much the cards and the players they depict overlap with history. For the set I'm building, the card backs for almost every player mention military service, and even the guys who were 4F still lived through the Roaring Twenties, the stock market crash, the Depression, one or two World Wars (depending on birth year), etc. And for a history nut like me, it's an added bonus for someone like Jeff to weigh in about the other side. In terms of memoirs and first person accounts, there hasn't been nearly as much written by the Japanese as there has by the Americans, so it's always interesting to hear about that side.