View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default High grade cards are undervalued

Posted By: daviddbreadman

I should have been more elaborative in my post:

#1 I have never purchased a card over $250 (with the exception of a T206 O'Hara St. Louis). My statement was not made to validate my purchases of overpriced cards.

#2 I was not referring to ultra-high value cards. Those cards have obviously arbitrary pricing and vary wildly from year to year. In general i was referring to cards priced from $200-$3000. A good example of my belief is that a PSA 6 T206 would appreciate from 150-250 to $500.

#3 Prices are absolutely NOT determined by the number of cards in circulation but rather by the number of card readily available to meet current demand. Thus, a hoard of hidden raw cards not covered by a population report has not and will not have any effect on current pricing. (current also
refers to the static supply/demand at any fixed future point in time)

#4 the market for cards is becoming 'more efficient', i did not state or mean to state it 'is efficient'. it will become more efficient at an accelerating rate over time, hence my thought that pricing will continue to rise.

#5 a Babe Ruth rookie is not the type of card i am referring to.

#6 talking about economic theory is simply theory, i speak of reality. theory and reality are not always the same in economics. however, population reports when taken as a whole are accurate measures of relative scarcity.

#7 i collect cards because i love them. i have been collecting cards since 1977. admittidly i have only been collecting prewar for less than 1 year. i collect cards and my purchase always has 2 factors, #1 do i want this card for the card's sake and #2, can i/will i recoup the money i spend on it should i decide to sell it. money is a factor.