View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Matthew

Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful feedback! I think I'm going to go the creative route and build a display case for my graded sets. Jeff, I like the idea of rotating sets in and out of one case rather than have several around the home. I also don't think I would ever build a collection of graded cards that exceeded 350 or so. That and the Mrs. would kill me...

I think I'm going to stick to the graded as opposed to raw. I don't know much about buying raw cards in regards to grading, and I have a feeling I'd make bad purchases; perhaps I could try this down the road. I also think the casing of the major grading companies are all down well and add a level of beauty to the cards. From auction watching, I realize the added expense... Generally, I'd rather have 1 graded set v 2 non-graded sets.

In answer to mintacular, I--for now--am content buying several hundred graded commons. I'm estimating I could get 4 or 5s for about $5-6/per (?), which would mean $1600-1700 for 300 1956 commons. I'm fine doing that over a few years time. I don't want to ever collect a set where commons cost me $10+!

And so much for sticking to one set at a time... I'm just too anxious, so I think I'll start with 2 or 3. The slow frequency of my buying should permit that.

I think I've been won over on the '53 set. The artwork is just breathtaking! Hope I don't have to bid for any of them against all you fans

I think I'm going to set up a blog of some sort and record just about everything related to my experience. I'll share it with everyone when it's up, if anyone's interested.

Thanks. I have a few other questions, but I'll save them for a new thread later. This has been a big help.