View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM

"In general, I like raw cards so I can keep my sets in binders and actually *look* at them when I want to. I'm not a big fan of stacks and stacks of plastic Plus I just can't see the value in getting common cards graded as I'm not into the registry game and it seem like a waste of $$$ that could be used to purchase other things."

Jeff I have the same Philosiphy! While I do enjoy doing a couple graded sets the vast majority of my collection will always be raw.

Ive also posted before about being able to see the "Flow" of a set and how that can only be seen in binder form. From the fronts on one page to the backs on the next page. As I am a centering freak it also allows me to view the overall centering much better.

To me binders offer the best and most user friendly way to store and view sets.
I just go to the library of volumes and pull out which one I want.

I totally agree that giant stacks of plastic holders are no fun when it comes to being able to pull out a card set to view.

I have a 1972 Topps football set(Graded) and it is simply impossible to enjoy them as much. First off the storage case weight a ton! Then having to shuffle through stacks of holders a handful at a time becomes more of a chore than it is fun. I can and do appreciate the beauty of the set in graded form and will likely scan all the cards for easier viewing.

Ive made special divider boards to place throughout the sets I have in binders as well as custom slip covers for each binder that eliminates the the most common problem with binders, loose and or sagging pages. I also change out the pages every 5 years or so.

While I can understand and appricate a beautiful graded set. NEVER could it replace the ability to touch, feel and smell a raw card, Jest like when we were kids.

Ive been criticized and publicly stoned on the CU board for posting pics of cards Ive cracked out of slabs for my raw sets. But that's ok I don't have to justify what I do with my collection to anybody but myself and im quite happy with the collection Ive built over the years.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-12-2013 at 09:07 PM.