View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Scott, and I'm serious -- I think many, many bidders don't leave ceiling bids on auctions because of the fear of fraud by the house. I suspect most would tell you that. It sucks that with the houses ending auctions at 5 am that leaving ceiling bids is not done due to the potential fraud which only serves to keep prices down. But the auctioneers have no one to blame but themselves.
I don't normally add to these types of discussions BUT...

I ALWAYS keep in mind how an auction house might MISUSE any information I provide to them. To think otherwise, I would be flying in the face of a lot of information that has already come out about auction houses. The phrase caveat emptor has been around a long time for good reason.

i'm not paranoid but I'm not going to give anyone a chance to rip me off either. If you can win the item either way, why would you choose the one with more risk intentionally? I have a price I'm willing to pay for something. So does the other guy. A ceiling bid isn't going to scare me away from bidding up to my max so why put it out there for someone to misuse?