View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Prewar baseball:

Postwar baseball:

Modern baseball:

Boxing (Adam Hats H815 Jack Dempsey--I had been searching for this for over a decade):

Football:

Basketball:

Hockey:

Nonsports:

Autograph: This is only the 2nd Signature Card from 1991 Kayo that has ever been seen.

Postcard (Holman Williams is a HOFer with only one other known card, a Propagandas Montiel. Williams was part of a group of African-American fighters in the 147# and 160# classes (welter and middle) nicknamed "Murderers' Row": Charley Burley, Lloyd Marshall, Williams, The Cocoa Kid, Jack Chase, Eddie Booker, Aaron Wade and Bert Lytell. The champs of the time refused to fight them, so they ended up fighting each other dozens of times (62 in all). Five of them have been elected to the HOF so far: Burley, Marshall, Williams, Cocoa Kid and Booker, and collecting them for a HOF set is a real challenge. Booker, Burley and the Cocoa Kid have no known cards; I had to settle for career-issued photos. Marshall appears in the 1940-70 Boxing News set from the UK. Williams has a 1947 Montiel card. This postcard is the first I've ever seen for Williams. It is an AZO four squares back (1924-49 per Playle's). The weight notation and format suggests that this was a self-issued postcard and it dates to his days in the early 1930s when he fought as a lightweight):

A better man than all of us:

Jeff Dickson was an American boxing promoter in Europe in the interwar period, elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2000. This British 1930s RPPC shows him with fellow HOFers Thil and Brown. In 1943, Capt. Jeff Dickson was killed in action over Germany while serving in the U.S. Air Force during World War II.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.