View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE....Reflections, Theorys, Surveys......T206 printed sheet structure

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

This topic has intrigued me ever since I started collecting T206's in 1981. My following theories regarding this subject is based on my experience collecting uncut sheets
of Goudey's, Play Ball's, Leaf's, Bowman's, & Topps cards. Also, I have written articles on uncut sheets in The Baseball Cards Magazine, SCD, VCBC, and Old Cardboard.

So, I will start with American Lithographic's (ALC) original printing of the T206 cards (circa Spring/Summer 1909). ALC operated large printing presses for Artwork and
Advertising Banners. My research indicates that ALC used 19" inch track presses to print the T206 cards. These same size presses were used to print the T205's, T213's,
T214's, t215's, etc. cards

OK, let's start with the structure of the T206 set. The very first press run comprises of 12 subjects (which includes the famous Wagner card). It's the group of T206's we
refer to as the 150-only Series.

150-only Series
l<.................................................. ...................... 19" inch wide sheet .................................................. .........................>l

Furthermore, there are 144 additional subjects that comprise the 150 Series. And, 144 is certainly a factor of 12.

A standard size sheet of cardboard in that era was 19" inch wide by 25" inches long. As many as 108 cards could be printed on this size sheet.

For example, shown here is my concept of a printed sheet of the Exclusive 12 cards in the 460-only Series. It's been proven that this group of 12 subjects in this series
of T206's was printed separately from the other subjects in the 460-only series.

.. v ............................................ 19" x 25" sheet .............................................v

Stay tuned for more specific info regarding how the "12 factor" figures into the printing of the various series in the T206 set. The Southern League series
and the 350 Series will follow in the next post.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-25-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.