View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Howard, the term "condition rarity" fits these beautiful gems to a T. There are some interesting stories in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, as to why some of the cards look pristine, while so many were damaged from the get-go, winding up looking like the inside of a goat's stomach. As for this '54 Stahl-Meyer, I was able to trace back the provenance to 1969, which was very gratifying---involving the collector-dealer I bought it from, the collector who sold his collection to the collector-dealer, and the story of how that collector got the card in a trade on a vacation trip to California in the summer of '69. Intriguing reading.

There's a super picture of my 1954 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle that serves as the photo for chapter 3. Some time in the past 10 years, my son loaded up the photo on Net 54. As I faintly remember, it was to a thread involving cards you felt took your breath away. Perhaps if you're adroit in your searching, you'll find it. I tried, and failed! However, Howard, if you find it, you sure have my permission to load 'er up on this thread. It would fit this thread to a T as well.

Kind regards, my fellow collecting warrior. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-12-2018 at 11:35 AM.