View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

Anyway, you recall your terrific vintage racing thread? Well, I bought my first racing card, and would you believe, it's of one of the great drivers I commented on. It's a 1939 Churchman's Cigarettes of John Cobb, in PSA 7 condition. I watched for a long time, and deliberated whether I wanted to buy it. It really wasn't the price so much as I was setting a personal precedent in buying a racing card. With my interest in racing, it's strictly 1/43rd models, books, VHS tapes, and now DVDs. I did not need another expensive hobby!!! Ha!
Oh, jeez. Now, I really feel guilty for not hooking you up with a sweet racing card at a nice price. I was actually going to bump the vintage racing thread to laugh at an eBay listing, but the listing was ending shortly after I saw it. There was a PSA 10 1989-90 Wendell Scott card listed on eBay for $16,998.95. The same seller also had a PSA 9 of the same card available for just five grand.

The $16,998.95 price on the Wendell Scott card was by far the highest listing of any racing card on eBay. Considering that only a handful of racing cards sell for over $500, a dollar short of 17 grand was probably a bit optimistic. Seventeen grand for a Wendell Scott card would be the equivalent of about $85 billion for a T206 baseball Hall of Famer.

Seriously, though, congrats on the pickup.

I do want to bump the vintage racing thread soon, however. I have a book review and my excitement is building for the release of a cool, different racing book.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-04-2018 at 12:26 AM.