View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default 20th Century Baseball

Posted By: jay behrens

Just becuase Rabbit Maranville and other undeserving players are in doesn't mean that you let everyone with a career comparable to his in. And to let someone in under the "impact the game" catagory, they need to have done something truely special. Most of use might wonder what's so special about a curveball, but if you have read articles from the era, the curveball was something no one thought possible and was a truely amazing pitch for it's day that changed the game. Hoy should also get in if he is the person responisble for hand signals.

Sorry, but averaging 60 HRs over 4 impressive, but doesn't change the game. If we let Mac in for this reason, do we start letting in everyone else that does something spectacular for 4 years. The HOF would get so watered down as to be rendered meaningless.

Mac doesn't need to be enshrined in the HOF. Like Maris, he will always be remembered for setting a single season milestone in HRs.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.