View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Sean McGinty

I haven't collected autographs seriously since the early 90s, I had no idea the prices charged by contemporary players had gotten so ridiculous. Though I guess given how ridiculous their salaries have also become its not surprising.

Its kind of sad. Back in the day when I was a kid/teenager my family used to make the trip down to Cooperstown for the induction ceremony each year (we lived just a couple hours drive away). I spent most of my time on those weekends going from card store to store paying $5-$10 to meet and get the autographs of all the hall of famers who were set up there, it was such an awesome time - with most players they didn't just sign but would also pose for photographs, answer questions, etc.

The last time I did that was 1992 (we moved away in 1993 and could no longer make the trip).

Not sure how it is now but I guess with the HOF increasingly being stocked with massively wealthy guys who don't need to do that sort of thing for the fans, and the "poorer" players from the pre free agency era getting older, the HOF weekend won't be as awesome as it used to be.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 05-01-2018 at 07:58 PM.