View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default I need your input...

Ok, fellas, I have the '69 Topps set and after a few upgrades it will be a solid set. I am thinking over my next move and have been researching, number crunching, etc. There are several '60s sets that I like (64 Philadelphia, 68 Topps, 61 Fleer to name a few) and could build in exmt/nm grade. However, I can't quit looking at the early Bowman sets. One reason that I wanted to try vintage football was the affordability factor relative to baseball. If I went the Bowman route, the cards wouldn't be as sharp. I would be aiming more at crease free VGEX to ex. The first of the Bowman sets I think I would want to go after might be '51 Bowman. It has 144 cards and I don't think it would cost anymore to build in mid grade than the 220 card 1961 Fleer set would in high grade. Also, the more I look, the more iconic the Bowmans look to me.

What do you guys think? You all have been in the football circuit for much longer than me. I feel like there is good value in vintage football. I just feel like a late arriver and want to build sets that I like before the values rise and they aren't any more affordable than baseball.

When I first started thinking about vintage football, I really looked at the 60s and saw the opportunity to collect lots of stars for not much money, again relative to baseball. However, now I may be drawn to the early 50s Bowmans. They are not as inexpensive as the 60s material, but I guess relative to early 50s baseball (again) they aren't too bad.

I know I went around and around there, but I hope you guys get the jist. Thoughts?

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 12-23-2015 at 08:47 PM.