View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Since you are looking to put together a higher end 60's set have you taken a peek at the '62 topps? My favorite of the 60's by far, but darn those black borders. I understand your interest in the '61 fleers, a mighty good looking set. Centering was a problem as I accumulated the '68s, especially with the thin line borders around the cards, though a nice set with both leagues. To be frankly honest all the Philadelphia sets look like Wonder Bread inserts to me, but I'm probably in the minority with that opinion.

Most importantly, have fun!
Ty, I have looked at those '62s, and they are beautiful. While I think I will build it someday, I would rather have a '51 Bowman and/or a '61 Fleer set first. Those black borders are tough! Those '62s might take a while to build a really nice set.

Jeff, your thought of doing both is plausible, and you are probably right about my doing them both anyway. I have always been a one at a time guy for the most part, but if I could stay focused, I think I could do it. I am thinking of doing the Fleer in slightly higher grade than the Bowmans.

In baseball collecting, I usually went with nice commons that were ungraded (and cheaper) and most of my stars were graded. However, at least with '61 Fleer, the sharp ungraded commons I have seen aren't much less than the PSA 7s. This has surprised me and has made me think about building that set in all 7s or better. With the '51 Bowman, I could see myself using a mixture of graded/ungraded, with it being a crease free vgex to ex set.