View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Matt

I am naturally wary of any old card that is too mint. Additionally, some wear on much older cards looks appropriate, adds charm and character, and thus-- for me-- enhances eye appeal.

Time and again we have seen cards in higher numerical grade (closer to MINT) look worse to the eye than lower grade examples.

I tend to really appreciate a collection that manages to find hugely appealing pieces that are not obvious mint blazers. Sure, if the money is in hand, it's easy to throw big dollars around and obtain a Mint 9 Mantle or Clemente RC. But try finding one that looks great for under 4k. The latter is some challenge.

Conversely, I don't see anything to celebrate when a card labeled MINT 9 or GEM MT 10 is purchased-- but it actually looks overgraded, as many are. I get a sinking feeling when I see a 10 being brandished, that say has obvious tilt or a touched corner.

I love cards with total pops in the 100-range or less, because you are just thrilled to have an example in your collection-- and one with any eye appeal is just gravy! Hence why most of my favorite cards are lowly 1s to 3s LOL.