Thread: April Pickups
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid50sbaseball View Post
haha...well played on the April Fools joke. Great dodgers pickups, those look to be in very nice shape, especially the Snider.

Did your folks follow them to LA or lose interest once they left Brooklyn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
OK, definitely had me until I scrolled, call me gullible. Love the Dodgers. There is something that just screams of that era about the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
You're not the only one.
You guys mean to tell me that you actually entertained the possibility that he picked up seven '52 Topps Mickey Mantles graded PSA 8 (one being a 9), and a Beckett 8? A single PSA 8 Mantle commands over $300k. A 9 would likely bring double that, at least. That's $2.5 million of cards pictured....on April 1st...am I missing something? I'm not trying to be a hard ass, but that seems implausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I couldn't resist picking up this Bob Feller. I grew up hearing stories of his prowess from my father who watched him pitch on numerous occasions. I also had the privilege of speaking to him for extended periods during spring training vacation trips to Arizona. When he passed baseball lost a true treasure and ambassador.

I paid $175 less than other PSA 8s with similar centering in older slabs without the OC designation. They seem to have gotten much stricter on this qualifier. I won't break it out and submit it to SGC. Out of curiosity does any one have an opinion how SGC would grade such a card?
Mike, I agree that PSA has gotten much stricter with the OC qualifier. To be honest, I wish they would just develop a set of guidelines, and stick to them. In my eyes, they damage their reputation with their inconsistency over time. A PSA 8 graded three years ago should meet the same standards that a PSA 8 graded in 2016 does. But that's not the case, and this debacle has spurred the whole regrading game. I have a big problem with that, because ultimately, the collector suffers, and the company grading the cards makes more money.

As to your question on how SGC would grade it, I think it gets a 7 with them. Just for comparison, here's my '56 Topps Feller graded by SGC as a 7. I've had this card for more than six months, so who knows, maybe they've changed their standards, too.

Regardless, it's a really nice example you have there. Feller was a machine, and I wish I could have met him just once. I've long had the utmost respect for Rapid Robert.

Anyhow, I'm completely happy with my card, and can't see the urge to upgrade it ever creeping up. There are too many other cards I want, so this one will sit in my collection until they stick me in the ground.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 04-04-2016 at 06:44 AM.