View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default negative and nuetral feedback

Posted By: jay behrens 

Since we have a thread going on when to leave feedback I thought would be interesting to see if people actually make use of the system as it was intended.

My point being, do you leave negative and/or nuetral feedback? I think most people are SO AFRAID to get a negative or nuetral that they will not leave one themselves.

Think about it. How many times have you bought something and had an experience with the seller that was less than pleasing? Almost everyone, instead of leaving negative or nuetral feedback will not leave any feedback at all because they fear 'retaliation' feedback.

What's the point of having this system if 99.9% of the people refuse to use the system properly? Think about it, the rarest feedback is nuetral. There should be far more nuetral feedbacks then negatives, but most people when they have an experience that doesn't warrant postive or a negative feedback leave none instead of leaving nuetral feedback.

Nuetral feedback tells me a lot more about a person/business than the positives or negatives do. A couple of negatives can be chalked up to the few people that you can never make happy. Positives, big deal, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Now, if someone has a bunch of nuetral feedback, that tells me that they may not being doing anything wrong, per se, but that they are doing little if nothing to actually please thier customers.

Real world example; Target and K-Mart. Similar stores with similar items and prices. I will not shop at K-Mart because they are almost always a mess and finding someone to help you is almost impossible. Target on the other hand is always clean and I can usually find someone help.

Using the eBay feedback system, Target gets postive feedback and K-Mart gets nuetral becuase even though I may have found I wanted, it certainly wasn't a pleasurable experience, but they didn't try to rip me off either.

Thanks for reading my rant

Jay