View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Matt

That's kind of the thing; sure, popularity as it stands is a factor, but with position and the publishing of a book on the topic (that will no doubt be influential, especially to those who collect based purely on PSA's Registry), there comes some responsibility as well.

Thus, I think there was some (unfulfilled) responsibility on the part of the author to illuminate the masses as opposed to pandering. I mean, sure, many people eat McDonald's. But that does not mean that in a Top Restaurant list, I have to list McDonald's-- or fail to point out what Peter Luger's is (even though there is only one Lugers).

I think the author had something of a responsibility to the hobby when undertaking the book, and intimating through the list and the subsequently related Registry Sets that a 1987 Fleer Bonds is a superior card to an e90-2 Wagner is just a major whiff-- at least in my book. I understand the desire to touch all bases, in terms of eras and sports, but the execution of that sentiment resulted in a deeply flawed list, IMO.

I mean, you have sets "competing" on that Registry, and a 1987 Donruss Maddux counts more in their competition than an M101-6 Ruth. That, to me, is a travesty and would keep me from taking that whole endeavor seriously.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-17-2014 at 02:37 PM.