View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 03:44 PM
∆|@π ¢h3π

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I feel like you are overthinking it. Dark Cap is much cheaper and as you say more attractive (IMO), find yourself a nice PSA or SGC 4, 4.5 or 5 and be done with it.
Don't be ridiculous...I am DEFinitely over thinking it! I don't own all that many cards from any era and landing a nice Mathewson is probably going to tie up a large portion of my hobby budget. That's by design but it also means that this would be a major collecting decision for me. And yet, the simplest answer is often the best one. So I appreciate your encouragement to streamline the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
The Matty dark cap is my favorite picture in the whole set. Can't go wrong with it.
As someone who apparently has all the cards in the set (wow), your feelings about the Dark Cap is a really cool thing to know about you, thank you. After all, I may think a card is sweet, but it's even sweeter if all my proverbial friends at the proverbial public library trading day think so too. Maybe it's more like my friends' parents approval here though? Since, you know, many of you are old (read: older than me) plus have more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search for a nice T206 Mathewson, no matter which pose you decide.

It's not a big deal that you refer to the cards by number, but just an "FYI" that most collectors simply refer to the cards by the player name and pose. So in this case you would typically hear folks calling the cards "Mathewson portrait", "Mathewson dark cap", and "Mathewson white cap"...[/URL]
Thank you for the warm welcome and for answering so many of my questions. And also for teaching me how to speak a little T206! It's going to be a humdinger of a race between Matty Portrait and Dark Cap, methinks. Lol anyways, I picked up a lower grade Dark Cap, partly so I know what an example looks like close up at that grade. I asked about soaking because it has a stain that I wish I could wash away. But as I feared, having seen some videos of the procedure, and what you're telling me now, that's not the point of soaking. But even so, to hold a piece of 110 year old baseball history in my hands is such a special event, I can't wait for it to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
...Being a collector of lower grade vintage cards for an incredibly long time I can tell you many lower condition cards quite often develop corners that look uniformly rounded. Of the non-authentic cards that are roughed up to look authentic, the well-worn rounded corner seems to be tough to duplicate, and often I can pick out a these non-original cards just by how the 'damaged' corners appear.

Brian
Brian that's fascinating. I might have to run a few examples by your sharp eye some day soon, thanks for weighing in. Is there an industry standard for what "lower grade" means, or is just in the eye of the beholder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
...Popularity on backs is tough to judge, as some of the least common backs often garner strong interest. As far as availability between Piedmont backs and Sweet Caporal, Piedmont is by far the most commonly found, and I have never noticed much difference overall in demand between these two most common backs.

Brian
That's a relief...and one less factor I need to worry about. Basically, I'll just avoid the Coupon backs and other cards that resemble T206s but aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I’ve seen you post a few questions about t206s. Most of what you are asking can be found (many times over) by just searching old net54 posts. As far as t206 backs - and some of us really love the backs (more than the fronts)- I recommend these two papers/articles:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/i...al-edition.pdf

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ack-variations

Also, Derek Hogue, a member of net54, has a great hardcover book on t206’s and backs. He is at t206society.

As far as the best Matty, that’s up to you. The portrait is most expensive/valuable, followed by white cap and then the very common dark cap (one of the 6 most common cars in the set). They are all great. Find one you like and for a good price, and then get the next one. After you have gotten all 3 poses, try to get all the front/back combos (and if you go down that path, let us know if you ever re-emerge from that Bermuda Triangle)

Good luck!
Big ups on the reading recommendations. There is just so much info out there, and even though I've read a fair share of old threads, I'm glad I asked for help. I'm already so much better equipped to embark on this quest, thanks to you all. I took a quick glance at your links and there was what appeared to be a chart for all the card-to-backside permutations. I couldn't make sense of it at a glance, so just that little tidbit about the Dark Cap being among the most common T206s in the set is a great piece of info to know. And emerging haggard from the baseball card Bermuda Triangle? Bwahahaha, the imagery! I literally laughed out loud on that one. How do you indicate that in short-hand? Maybe lolnird (no I really did)? Take that, millennials, two can play this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I agree about surface and corners. That is much more important to me than centering. However, there are a lot of centering obsessed people in prewar too. My eyes go to the picture and then corners before looking at the borders.

T206s are great investments and you protect yourself from getting altered cards by buying graded. The portrait is the better card, but if you like the dark cap, go with It. It will still be a solid investment.

I would be less concerned about the back than condition...
Hey, thanks for giving me your thoughts from an investment perspective and also for your positivity and encouragement. You are so spot-on with your advice here. How can you be so wrong about Bonds? ; )

Last edited by RiceBondsMntna2Young; 12-19-2018 at 03:48 PM.