View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default A reminder about vintage sports

Posted By: Eric

Bare with me, this thread will be a bit off-topic. I'm not a golf enthusiast, and really don't care for the sport. However, I had a chance to watch the movie "Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius" the other day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. As it is now where money, greed, disrespect, and avarice are thriving in most professional sports, it was refreshing to watch a sports history movie that detailed the true essence of one mans love for a sport, and his will to respect the sport, and himself. I realize that the movie was most likely "Hollywood-ized", to portray Bobby as a faultless saint. But in the sole respect that he played his entire career as an ametuer, and resisted money to further respect himself and his sport, really impressed me.

Reading sports news and watching sports tv about the NHL strike, basketball and football brawls, steriod scandals, high salaries, etc..I can't help but realize why I love baseball and it's players from the pre-1950's era.

I think this is why most of us here have a deep love for baseball cards, and the era that we choose to adore. The game was a lot more innocent then, and the players as a whole were a lot more grateful for the game, and to each other. We love an era that quite honestly, will never be seen or displayed ever again.