Thread: My First Mantle
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 11:40 AM

padremurph'

First off, welcome to the Net54 line-up! We're glad to have you.

Second, I love your 1960 Topps Mickey Mantle. That card was among the first Mantle cards I ever saw as a 7-year old in 1961. Love at first sight, though I didn't get one until '72 or '73. With PSA, if it's a 5, something must have caught the eye of the grader to render it "only" EXCELLENT. Take heart, Murph, your Mick is beautiful, and since it's excellent, the price you paid was much much less than an high-grade specimen. Technical aspects of centering and corner wear, not to mention slight creases, drives the grades of most cards well down below yours. Remember, these are first and foremost picture cards, and the pictures of Mick, and the dazzling nameplate Topps gave the cards in 1960, all look much better than excellent. You did well, bro.

I wish you well on your pursuit of the '56 Ted Williams, a gorgeous card of Teddy Ballgame. If this sounds good to you, insist on getting one with great colors, crisply focused picture, and as few print spots as possible, with a little corner wear to bring the grade to "5".

Thanks for sharing your joy of your new Mickey Mantle. ---Brian Powell