View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Ted,

Thanks for enlightening us on the history of your "1954 Sports Illustrated Topps" enhanced blue version. I was wracking my brain trying to recall the reprints that Larry Fritsch offered, but as I recall now, duh, they were straight reprints.

I love yours with the blue background, but then I have always admired the George Silk portrait of Mickey taken during his rookie year and used by LIFE magazine in the spring 1951 when they ran a brief feature on Mickey's major league debut.

Much as I love the 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes "1954 Topps" version, the George Silk portrait is such a gem, being still appropriate in the time frame for a 1954 Topps. After all, that's the shot SI chose for its 1954 spread of the Yanks!

I for one would love to own a specimen of your printing buddy Charlie's craftsmanship.

Best regards, Brian Powell

Hi Brian

I haven't had any contact with Charlie since the Fort Washington (PA) Shows in 2001.

I cannot promise you anything, but I will try to contact collectors (dealers) in Pennsylvania that may still have (or know how I can get) this Mantle card.

TED Z