View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I worked for a summer in a textile plant in the late 70's and all of the dyes there were mixed by hand. There were little receipes for each one with differing amounts of various colors used to create each shade, not unlike how paint is mixed at your local Home Depot. Different sized ladles were used to scoop in amounts of each contributing color but I can tell you that how much ink was in that ladle would vary scoop by scoop, sometimes dpepending upon who was doing the mixing.

I can easily see the American Litho inks being subect to less than precise mixtures, resulting in sme natural variance. Whether they were mixed prior to printing or during printing I can't say but if it's the latter then certain components could run out just before the end of a press run (or be used for the very beginning of another run).

Just a thought.
Same with printing, inks were hand mixed according to a recipe which wasn't always exact.

It was mixed before being put in the press.

I don't buy the changing plates while leaving the ink in the press. If the later series were done on a flatbed press that's even less likely. The "plate" would have been a stone usually about 3-4 inches thick, and a large one would weigh a lot. A 19 x 23 weighs anywhere from 147 -180 Lbs depending on thickness. Not exactly something that would be easy to change, and the ink would probably start to get dried out while the change was being done.

Even with plates it's good practice to wash the press down at the end of a job.

Steve B