View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I haven't kept this thread current figuring people can follow Blowout if they care, but this one seemed worth posting. Someone please tell me this sort of "cleaning" is OK because I keep hearing there is no consensus.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=5276
That particular card is a tough call. If , and that's a big if, the stains are from the caramel on the crackerjacks, it's possible that water would be enough.
But I really think that staining is something else. Mostly because of the card shaped clean area on the back. The stains that didn't come out might be, which would lead me to think the de-staining material was a oil based solvent like mineral spirits.

If it's from having been in a really acidic scrapbook, or envelope, it's possible that the deacidification products the pros (Like museums, not Moser?) use would whiten as they deacidify. If that's the case, then it's probably ok, but should still be disclosed, as that much acidity has already damaged the paper.

If it's just bleached in a barely above amateur hour attempt at making it look better.... nope, not a good thing.