View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Jim Thorpe Postcard (w/ Pop Warner)

Posted By: Carl Lamendola

I recently picked this up from an antique dealer from NC and would like some input. The card is a Real Photo Postcard. Has anyone every seen it before? I took a chance - and althogh not from 1911
its still very old. I called the Cumberland County Historical Society and I believe it depicts the
"Jim Thorpe and 1911 CIS Football Team with football which reads "1911, Indians 18, Harvard 15" - Photo #15A-01-14.

I have spoken to the author of Sport Postcards Price Guide (John Mashburn - 73 years old)also. He had never seen it. The producer issued postcards from 1930 thru 1960s. I also spoke to a good friend of mine who's brother has been a dealer and has 1M postcards in stock. We believe its from 1930-1940s due to the lack of copyright date. Also, W.M. Cline was a regional issuer from Tennessee to North Carolina and produced cards of Cherokee Indians. One final note, the coach in the picture is "Pop Warner - voted the greatest college coach of all-time by AP.A pretty aweswome card. Here it is.

;