View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Back around 2002, the Infiniti car company had a commercial for one of their new models. In the commercial, the new model was cruising the rainy streets at night while a cool, smooth jazz tune with a tasty sax played in the background. I didn't know the song, but the melody stayed in my head. I had hoped to one day figure out the title of the song.

Later that year I was down in Cleveland to catch my favorite band, Rush, at Gund Arena. During intermission I was outside having a smoke, and off in the distance I could hear that melody -- the same jazz song from the Infiniti commercial. I walked around the corner and saw a street musician playing a sax in downtown Cleveland, on the corner, with a tip hat in front of him. I walked up and had to ask, "Hey there, what song is that??" "Take Five by Dave Brubeck!" the tall, older gentleman replied. I threw a buck into his hat and listened to the song a bit more -- it sounded perfect as it echoed through the city streets, the notes bouncing off the tall buildings. I went back in the for the 2nd set of the Rush show, and later that week I picked up Time Out on CD.

RIP Mr. Brubeck.

Last edited by CW; 12-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.