View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergman1978 View Post
I just acquired a large lot of these and I am in the process of sorting them. As I sort, I have noticed some say printed in Italy and others Printed in Japan. Was wondering if building the sets does it make a difference to mix them? I have also noticed some number variations. Is there a way to know if any variations are rarer than others.

Thanks
It all depends on what you mean by 'set'. Some likely will not care if they have a Japan or Italy card or whether they have the Lausanne or Geneva variation of a particular card or an 'A' or 'B' variation...but then again, some will.

I just finished completing my set of 2184 cards in which are mixed all kinds of variations. I have enough of the variations available that I might consider building a master set but, of course, that's a toughie given that most cards sold online rarely feature the back of the card and that, of course, is what you need to see to determine which variation you have.

If you are finding number variations, you may have a lot which mixes the US version of the cards with those from the UK. The Atlas page linked below gives you an idea of which number prefix is associated with each set...

http://www.atlaspicturecards.com/Spo...ter_cards.html

As you might guess, the higher numbered series tend to be tougher to find...series 1-55 are the most readily available but also, in my experience, seem to be the series with the greatest number of variations. Series 80 and above tend to be the toughest but also appear to have the fewest number of variations.