View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Does anyone watch Hardcore Pawn? The owner of the pawn shop in that series, Les Gold, engages in an interesting negotiating tactic. He lets the person throw out their number, then instead of countering asks what the person would really take. It usually shaves about a third off the opening. No matter whether the price is fair, he starts out way below it. If the item is something he senses the seller wants to unload he won't budge from there or very near to there and just shakes his head no and re-quotes his offer until the person walks or takes it.

I tried it recently at a show where the seller had an item that he did not want and did not know much about. I googled it and found one for sale for $1500, a ridiculous price, and also some past auction results for pre-2008 sales at about a third to a quarter of that. I asked what he wanted. He said he saw one online for that ridiculous price but knew it wasn't worth that. I asked what he'd really take, like Les does. He said he didn't know but if the item was worth $500 retail he'd want 50%, then asked if it was worth that to me. I did the Les Gold headshake and offered $100. I figured if I offered less than three figures he'd reject it but since he'd already indicated he did not know what the item was worth and wanted to move it, I could take a hard line. Plus, with no sales in 6 years I didn't really know retail either; I was willing to risk $100 on the item and just keep it if I was overpaying but no more. He asked for $250. Headshake no. $150? Headshake no. I reiterated my $100 offer and said "cash, right now", which is something Les does too when the seller is clearly not interested in taking the item home. I got the item for a hundred bucks.

But I digress. The problem with internet negotiating versus in-person is that there is no nuance, body language, rapid give and take, etc., when interacting online. It simply calls for a different set of rules of behavior. I find it best to engage in very straightforward, very polite discussions, and to take special care not to be condescending. I agree w/the critique of the 'educator' type of buyer; it is condescending to assume that the seller has not done the same google search you have or looked up the card on VCP.
I know it is garbage television, but I like watching Hardcore Pawn from time to time. One drawback of the Les Gold negotiating style is that it tends to lead to a higher than expected precentage of sellers willing to pull their pants down and piss on the floor or threaten to blow the place up. I like when a seller will throw out a ridiculous number and Les will simply counter with, "Why?"

You were obviously fortunate that the seller did not come back with "Yo, bitch, you're gonna give me my $500 and that's all there is to it." like happens to Les on occasion.

It seems like Les' son, Seth, sure does overestimate the rarity of 1950s baseball cards and the legitimacy of autographs without credible COAs from what I have seen, however.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-12-2015 at 08:52 AM.