View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Would Babe Ruth or Dempsey have signed as much if they knew there was a huge market for their autograph? Would they have signed as much if there was ebay? How about if they had a memorabilia deal? Would they have signed as much if they kept seeing the same faces asking for autographs day after day? Times change, people change. Doesn't mean he's a jerk.
This is also a great point. There are a ton of athletes who turn people down for autos. Eventually most guys sign but people are people and they will have different ways about them. Because he rolls by and doesn't speak to the fans doesn't make Jeter a jerk. It means he doesn't feel like signing that day.

Also to be fair, the article tells of the security guy being the one barking out orders about not speaking to Jeter, etc. Now, I'm not saying with certainty that this wasn't the exact message Jeter relayed to the guy, because we will never know what conversation was had. But I will say that I have seen my fair share of security guards getting their kicks off of their 15-minutes of fame and being overly rude to collectors just because they can. The times I've seen Jeter interact with fans, which admittedly has not been in about ten years, he was fairly personable. Quiet overall, but definitely not rude.