View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 PM
John

Hi Scott, there actually is a game and I own it: http://shop.dksports.com/downloads1920to1969.aspx - I bought the 1933 season, my reasoning being, I wanted to see what I could do with the Spartans without Dutch Clark. I think the game is great, but there wasn’t a real investment made in the Single Wing (every snap goes to the BB rather than the TB for example). I discussed with the developer and he left it open to edit pretty much everything, for example when you play the Bears, Nagurski takes all the snaps and often throws it down field and he's rated as an outside runner ...., but by the time I do all that editing - and then actually play - I think I need to wait until my 2 kids are in college. I do play APF2K8 occasionally though because I can squeeze a game in pretty quickly - everything is set up how I like it from 7 years ago

Hi Peter, I just play in a free Yahoo! league with strangers, so I’d be open to a net54 league next season for sure.

Jeff, Good point - “fantasy” is the wrong term in the sense of modern fantasy football - it’s just a fantasy draft with the goal to build the best team possible - and of course no way to prove which team is best other than debating it

Great catch on Halas and Nagurski!! - in my first version, Halas did pick Nagurski. But the second version was done after I read Friedman's bio which definitely influenced me. My reasoning the second time around was Halas was pretty shrewd - I think he would have seen that players (QBs or TBs) who could throw well were the scarcest commodity and make a business decision. Plus, I really think he only loved Luckman. Did you hear Sid read that letter on the NFL Top 100 show? (I got something in my eye at that moment.)

I thought of doing this with just 6 generic coaches, but I think using some real coaches gave it a better feel. For example, Potsy Clark liked to run and thus put a high value on players who could block for the run - Hutson, Blood, etc. would’ve been a little bored in his offense.

Do you like the Mel Hein pick better now that I said its not a fantasy points league? I’m just trying to pick a winning team on a hypothetical field. Given the style of play back then, I think the top linemen were really valuable, but that's the fun of it - I could be very wrong....

Finally, my inspiration for this was Zycho32 from here: http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55372- I really enjoyed reading his analysis, so I figured I'd try my hand at something similar.

Thanks guys! Anyone want to rank the teams from strongest to weakest?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 09-17-2015 at 08:18 PM.