View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Al Richter

Default Variants

I am a fairly avid collector of variant cards...which for me is just a card that differs in some respect from other cards like it...like this one, for whatever reason. I do not view such print differences or defects as variations....which for me are cards that differ because the manufacturer intentionally changed the card in some way or changed the printing process itself.

But, there are some cards, like the 57, Bakep, the 58 Herrer and the 61 Fairly, that while just print defects to me, are certainly treated by the hobby as variations. Everyone is entitled to their own view.

But what causes the value of a card to rise is when the print defect or variation or variant gets hobby recognition in a hobby catalog or the Registry master list. The process by which that happens these days seems hap hazard at best.

As an example take the 1952 Topps black star Campos. Some think it is a print defect others a real variation caused by a printing change. But, if you look on ebay now for Campos variations you will see two 1952 Campos cards that have a portion of the front border missing. These cards are more scarce than the black star version, but so far have no catalog or Registry recognition although it has been written about in SCD and was included in the 1952 Super Set that was recently auctioned, so it is starting to get some hobby recognition.

I know some folks who are working hard to get either or both SCD and PSA to recognize certain cards they have as "variations" If it happens, the value would soar, just like it did for the 61 Fairly green smudge card