View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 07:10 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I purchased the following because the price was right and was hoping to get some thoughts, as the seller has indicated that I could return it if I want:

With the exception of the stain in the top left corner on the front, the rest of it is just a horrible image.

Here are my concerns:
1. Kelly's guide indicates that the placemats typically had beveled edges and mentions nothing of the lamination. This one obviously is different. But see the following from Mears: http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/1...-lot74128.aspx.
2. The stain on the front does not appear on the back side.
3. The stain is in an identical location to the one from the Mears auction, although the stain here is a little smaller and the one along the left side isn't present here.
4. Someone on eBay with zero feedback posted the exact same placemat for sale yesterday, with the exact same stain but with what appears to have been a slightly different picture of it as no glare was present. I pointed it out to the seller I purchased this one from. I can no longer find that auction, so it appears to be pulled.

Any thoughts?
Hi Chris,

I saw the ebay listing for this also and stayed away for one main reason:

In the Kelly article, he states, "Placemats are very collectible, as well. They make great displayable items, if not soiled or stained from coffee. Please be aware that there are a lot of copies circulating in our hobby. The original placemats all have scalloped edges. Most of the copies have straight edges." The portion I've put in bold kept me away.

I was also concerned about the lamination of the placemat. Rightly or wrongly, I have the impression these are not supposed to be laminated. I also think that lamination ruins the item if it is not supposed to be laminated. That thought also kept me away to a lesser extent. Does anyone know if the placemats were in a laminated form while used in the Inn?