View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The problem I have with this from an analytical standpoint is that when it comes to the 9 versus 10 items the subjectivity of the grader--the wiggle room inherent in the grading process and the grade characteristics--is often greater than the visible differences between the actual cards at those grades. Add to that subjectivity of outcomes the incessant grade lotto and other gamesmanship involved in the crack and resubmit game and I think you have consumers paying a premium for registry position. I am pleased as punch for them to do that because it chews up their capital, keeps them out of my areas of collection interest, and depresses the prices on the 'lesser' cards of the types they pursue that I prefer to collect.

Although I am not in agreement with the rationales of those who place the number on the slab at the forefront of the discussion and I certainly take my swings at the TPGs, I am really and truly live and let live when it comes to how someone spends their money on their leisure activities. You got your views, I got mine, and to 99% of the world and every wife we are all idiots. I do feel that the people who buy a 10 instead of a 9 are a different breed of collector than me. Our views and visions of collecting are so different that we really aren't in the same hobby.
Adam, that is so incredibly well-put that all I can say is it sums up my feelings on the matter exactly.