View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Suggestions for Grading Companies

Posted By: Phil Garry

I used to purchase many Beckett graded cards when I collected high-grade modern baseball rookies like A-Rod, Jeter, Bonds, etc. in BGS 9.5 & BGS 10 grades. About 5 yeras ago, I decided that segment of the market was becoming too volatile and mover over to vintage graded cards.

My first experience with submitting a vintage piece to Beckett was at the PCCE show in Chicago this past April. The item I wanted to submit was kind of unique and I showed it to both of the Beckett employees manning the table (I don't think Mark was one of them). They agreed that it is an item that Beckett would grdae/authenticate so I completed the necessary paperwork and submitted it.

I was very disappointed to find out upon return of my order that my item was not holdered at all and the form simply stated that it was not an issue that Beckett currently grades. Well, I did receive a credit back on my credit card for the grading fee but was out the $22.00 shipping charges. I would have welcomed an e-mail or phone call by a Beckett grader to provide more information about the item which might have been helpful prior to returning it.

As the grading business evolves, there will be more and more "unique, never before graded" pieces coming in for grading and I think the grading companies that are willing to discuss why or why not a piece should be graded/authenticated will become the graders of choice as we move forward.

Just my opinion on the subject.........