View Single Post
Old 06-25-2023, 12:17 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
I check in on GUU daily, hoping to see somebody post. No activity. Brian Hillerich helped me with a few of my Arod bats. He was always willing to help anyone.

I remember when I first joined GUU. Just like many sites, when you're the new kid on the block, not much love. Got beat down over and over when I thought I knew what I was talking about. It was tough love, but that's how I learned and what made me want to pursue GU.

Fingers crossed it becomes a reality one day!
Yes, his name was Brian, not Bud. He used to get asked dozens of questions a month it seemed, and he answered every one. Mike Sphect had access to some of the shipping records and did likewise when he could. It really was a community.

But yes, I remember when somebody would post a picture of an item that wasn't right... there were people ready to bluntly opine what was wrong. Sometimes a couple of knowledgeable collectors would get into a disagreement, and I'd learn so much just reading their back and forth about why something was or wasn't correct.

I believe the whole "photo matched" thing originated at GUU, or at least, that was where it really took hold. One time Tim Byington posted a Bob Allison bat he had - and it was a clear photo match to the bat Allison was holding on a major magazine cover (Sport or Sports Illustrated.)