View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC is Alive again!

Posted By: David

As someone who does an email newsletter and has self-published several books (at good profit) over the years, it is my firm beleif that a printed magazine is not viable. The audience that exists won't support such an endever. This is what Dennis Purdy found out, this is what the current publisher has found out, and this is what the next potentual publisher would (eventually) find out. I understand that someone will step and sincerly say 'I will do this for fun, I don't care about the money,' but I promise that that sentiment will last about five monthes at the most (burn out).

This small but devoted hobby will have to accept the fact that it cannot support a quality printed magazine, or a pay site ala 19thcenturyonly. I think that the mistake that VBCC and other book publishers make is to try to apply the traditional large-scale methods of printing and distribution for this tiny market, and that won't work. In part it's a mistake because it isn't working for big publishers/magazines like Time and Mare Claire. One reason I have had sucess with my own books, is that I don't try to emulate Time Magazine or Simon & Schuster. If I emulated their practices I would have been broke a long time ago.