View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Default To share or Not to share ??

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I have been "scorned" several times now (usually by the same person who always claims to be speaking for the masses) for being a "boaster" or a "show off" or a "snob" for posting pictures of my cards on this site.

Mind you, I have never just started my own thread to show scans of my cards, but have always just contributed to whatever the thread calls for.

If someone starts a thread asking for a scan of "Cobb/Wagner/Ruth/Johnson/Matty"... is everyone allowed to respond but me?

If someone starts a thread entitled "New Pickups"... is everyone allowed to respond but me?

Is there some "dollar limit" over which a card may not be shown on this board?

Heck, the MODERTATOR of this site never fails to find an opportunity to show us his "Four Base Hits" cards and other rare type cards... but I would NEVER want him to STOP doing this because I love being able to see stuff that I don't have.

HERE IS MY REAL QUESTION:

There seems to be, amongst some folks, a "reverence" or a "worship" for some of these collectors who hoard up a bunch of great cards and then "hide them away" and don't share them with others.

We always hear the mantra, "There are several old time collectors who have great cards that will never see the light of day,"... or, "I know who owns that card, but he doesn't want anyone to know."

Why is this type of collector never chastised or discussed for NOT SHARING their cards with the hobby population?

I would understand it if we were talking about making a donation to a charity or something like that. In those instances, the "good deed" is the ACTION itself, and anyone who then goes out and crows about how much they gave is not as respected as those donors who remain anonymous.

But this is different.

These are like pieces of art... and I have MUCH MORE appreciation for the art owner who lets the Museum display his art for EVERYONE to see... than I do for the crusty old hermit who has his paintings in the den where only he can see it every night -- or where he can control who sees them and who doesn't.

Don't get me wrong. I have conversed with several of these collectors, and found many of them to be very nice people. They are just very private people, and they certainly have the right to be this way.

BUT... there are still many very easy and inexpensive ways for them to share their cards with the collecting world and MAINTAIN their anonymity. They wouldn't "lose" anything"... but the rest of the hobby would gain a lot.

After all, what have these collectors accomplished if they go to their grave with their great collections but nobody ever knows about them? Isn't there something just a little off about someone who collects SOLELY for himself and just wants to be the king of his own little world?

Should these private collectors be forced to share?

NO, not if they don't want to.

But should those of us who DO choose to share with others be ridiculed or scorned?

NO, not if we are not being condescending or rude.

If I have been anything on this board, it is pleasant and humorous. If I have ever been rude or snobbish to anyone, I cannot remember it (but I certainly apologize if it happened by accident). I've always been genuine, and I am truly as excited by seeing someone win a $50 card on Ebay as I am when someone wins a $50,000 card. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Obviously, I welcome civil comments about either my position or from someone who supports the opposing view.

Thanks!