View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I started buying from Card Collectors Company from about '72 thru '76, it was a better alternative to getting yelled at my the old guy at the only card store in town, Adco.
I've still got a couple of catalogs around. I used to order T206's for .50 each, and if you bought a dozen their choice they'd often put in 2nd tier HOFers like Bender, Bresnahan, Clarke, etc. One time they sent a Uzit back, which I promptly flipped for $10.

Some of the local dealers back then that I've often wondered about were Jim Nowell, Gavin Riley and Steve Brunner. Merv Williams was another one that was really nice to kids, I've heard he's doing well living in the desert.
Fred Copp, Gar Miller, Ed Budnick, CS Perry, Ray Hess, John Spalding, Bob Rathgeber were some of the ones I recall dealing with back then. Gar was still selling as of a few years ago, Clay Hill is still in the hobby with SCP, and Irv Lerner is selling rings instead of cards but still there. I figure most of the others probably sold out, but would be interested in hearing about news, especially the first few on my list.