View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Michael -

Max was quite the character and had some nice stuff, but was apparently was not careful whom he purchased from. Visited him at his home a few times, his wife was very nice.

Several items I bought from him (pre-WWI HOFers) I later discovered over the years were bogus. Don't think it was necessarily Max's fault but I suspect he bought stuff from the infamous Ron Dross.

I was young, trusting and still learning the game back then.
For those who do not know, Ron Dross was probably the first of the big time forgers in the baseball hobby.
He was the "mastermind" behind the B&W HOF plak scam where he forged THOUSANDS of B&W Artvue Plaks, purchased from a Cooperstown hobby shop, and sold them to a few dealers through a front man whose name I do not remember now.
Dross was one huge fat guy and is now six feet under. As Clarence Darrow said: "I never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-24-2016 at 07:35 AM.